BROWSE BY CATEGORY

Monday, April 24, 2006

TIP: Ginger

Fresh ginger is definitely one of the most essential ingredients when I cook Japanese food. You can buy it fresh for about a dollar per stick at most grocery stores nowadays. I use it often in my cooking, but I don't use a lot at a time, so there is usually quite a bit of left over, and unlike garlic, it doesn't last very long. So today, I'm gonna teach you this tip my Mom taught me.


First, rinse the ginger really well. Then chop them up in about half an inch size, and peel off the skin (it's easier to peel off the skin as you chop them into pieces).

Then put all the pieces into a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. Whenever you need a piece of ginger, you just have to take it out of the freezer, and it will be ready to use! And they last in the freezer for a long time. I usually only buy fresh ginger about two or three times a year, so you could probably store it for 4 to 6 months.

No comments: